Student Advisor - Canada Law from Abroad
- Position: Canadian Student Advisor
- Company: Canada Law From Abroad - a division of Study Across the Pond, LLC
- Location: Home based position, Preferred Locations: Toronto, Greater Toronto Area
- Reporting to: Canada Law From Abroad Manager
- Date: 1 August 2019
- Type: Full-Time Consultant Contract
The primary purpose of your role will be to provide expert advice to students regarding studying Law in the UK and the process of transferring a UK law degree back to Canada. You would be advising primarily LLB (Bachelor in Law’s) applicants, assisting them with choosing programmes and universities to suit their interests. This advising role would include some recruitment activity during the peak times of the year, mainly September through November, and March.
The position holder is responsible for day-to-day work with a portfolio of several hundred students who are interested in studying in the UK. Contact with these students will mainly be via email, but also at times via phone, Skype or in person. The student advisor must always respond to all student enquiries within two business days, except in exceptional circumstances as notified by management.
This is an exciting role, in a fast-moving company which demands excellent organization and communication skills and a highly professional attitude and a commitment to customer service. You will be working towards monthly and annual targets set by management, with a bonus awarded when your application numbers exceed expectations. You will also be responsible for raising brand awareness of Canada Law From Abroad and its partner institutions at recruitment events.
The following required responsibilities, skills, qualities, and essential functions are applicable to this role:
- Working with potential applicants throughout the entire research and application process, until final departure for the UK
- Advise students on suitable partner universities and programs based on students’ academic and professional skills, experience, and ambitions
- Maximize conversion rates and work towards achieving and exceeding individual and company enrolment targets
- Responsible for data entry of enquiries and student applications
- Ensure that e-mail enquiries are managed effectively on a daily basis, aiming to answer all emails within two business days, except during exceptional circumstances as notified or approved by management
- Ensure all voicemails and phone calls are responded to within 24 hours (during work days)
- Ensure that student follow up, management procedures and systems are adhered to (such as e-mailing all students within 24 hours of a school presentation or event)
- Ensure that the highest levels of customer service standards are met and, whenever possible, exceeded
- Visiting schools, universities, colleges and attending events (such as education fairs, workshops, pre-departure meetings and UK university visits, etc.) in Canada.
- Delivering presentation(s) and information about studying in the UK at above events/visits
- Provide support to the team and Manager as required
- Willingness and ability to undertake extended periods of domestic and international travel, and, at times, unsociable hours and weekend work
- Networking with and being a point of contact for in-country school/college counsellors
- Communicating with Across the Pond and CLFA university partners and admissions staff
- Managing student documents according to Across the Pond and CLFA guidelines
- Maintaining confidentiality of student, Across the Pond, and CLFA information, complying with GDPR and CASTL laws
- Performing other duties as assigned
Essential Professional Skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to multi-task and perform well under pressure
- Customer focus and attention to detail
- Experienced in working in a proactive, rather than reactive manner
- Excellent time management and an ability to meet established deadlines
- Meticulous forward-planning
- Experience studying in the UK, preferably a full degree program, and a passion for helping others do the same
- Strong knowledge of Canadian and UK Education systems
- Able to work independently without direct supervision for long periods of time
- An intermediate knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to meet established targets and work in a target driven environment
- Must possess outstanding communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Ability to respond in a timely manner to the needs and requests of others internally and externally
- Ability to determine tasks, set priorities and goals, manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail, handle interruptions, maintain focus on tasks and produce accurate work
- Ability to make consistent decisions that resolve problems appropriately
- Ability to effectively work in a team atmosphere.
- Requires repetitive movement, sitting, face-to-face discussions with individuals or teams
- Use of electronic mail, telephone conversations, contact with others (face-to-face, by telephone, or otherwise)
- Requires the ability to make decisions without supervision
- Freedom to determine tasks, priorities, and goals
- Repeating the same physical activities or mental activities over and over
- Being exact or highly accurate, conscientious
- Requires meeting strict deadlines
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude
- Responsible and reliable
- A high level of initiative
- Continuous improvement and self-development
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Driver’s License
- Experience studying in the UK
- Typing speed of 65+ wpm
ABOUT CANADA LAW FROM ABROAD
Canada Law From Abroad (CLFA) is a Canadian company started in 2006. The company now operates under the umbrella of Study Across the Pond Ltd. All divisions of the company provide free assistance to students applying to university in the United Kingdom (UK).
CLFA advisors provide one-to-one support for Canadians interested in applying to law school in the UK, working with 12 partner universities. We are the only division of Across the Pond that singularly works with law schools, and we work closely with representatives from the law schools and international offices of the universities we are partnered with.
For more information about the company, check out our website!
How to Apply
Please complete the application here. You will be able to upload your cover letter and resume/CV to the application.
On the application, please indicate whether you would like to be considered for a role at Across the Pond or Canada Law from Abroad (or if you’d be happy to be considered for both opportunities).
If you have questions, please email Leah Rogers at email@example.com
The closing date for applications is MAY 31ST.
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis (as applications are received) from May 13th. The final decision will be made in June, with the required start-date being late July 2019 (exact dates TBC), when you must be available to attend training week (location TBC-most likely to be located in Ontario or the East Coast of the USA).