Frequently Asked Questions


Can I practice Law in Canada with a UK Law Degree?

Yes, a Qualifying Law Degree from a UK university would allow you to practice in Canada. Once you complete a LLB (Bachelor of Laws) in the UK, you must submit your degree to the NCA (National Committee on Accreditation) to be assessed. The NCA will assign a certain number of challenge exams to equate your UK degree with a Canadian Law Degree. Once you complete the assigned exams with a passing mark, you will be issued a certificate of qualification and you will be at the same level as a Canadian JD graduate. At this point, you can apply for articling positions. For more information, take a look at our Accreditation page.

Can I apply to Law School in the UK straight out of high school?

Yes, absolutely. As the Qualifying Law Degree in the UK is an undergraduate programme, you can apply with just your high school grades.

You would be able to apply to a 3-year LLB, and complete your Law training in half the time it would take in Canada.

Our partner Law Schools have a vast range of options for joint LLBs as well, allowing you to study Law and Business, for example. Check out the individual university web pages for details. Also, take a look at our Accreditation page for more information about how to bring an LLB back to Canada

Does completing a Law Degree in the UK hinder my chances of finding an articling position in Canada?

No, not directly. There has been a stigma on internationally trained lawyers in the major law firms in Canada, but that stigma is rapidly dissipating.

Studying overseas does mean that you are not physically in Canada to network, however, you will have access to local law firms in the UK where you can begin developing networks.

The majority of the large Canadian Law firms have international offices, and by making contacts in these international offices, you are setting yourself apart from law students trained in Canada in a positive manner. In our globally-minded society, international experience is seen as a bonus.

If you utilize your time wisely and make the most of every opportunity to network, you should have no problem finding an articling position in Canada. Take a look at the Future Law Blogs for insightful information about practicing Law in today’s society.

Can I stay in the UK and practice after I complete my LLB?

Yes, and no. The answer to this question is largely dependant on the individual’s citizenship and situation.

A UK LLB will help to prepare you for the Solicitor's Qualifying Exams (SQE 1&2) which is a mandatory assessment for all those wishing to qualify as a solicitor in the UK. By pursuing a qualifying law degree, you will set yourself up to pursue either the SQE in the UK or the NCA accreditation process to practice law in Canada.

The tricky consideration for pursuing a legal career in the UK is obtaining legal leave to remain in the UK to do so. If you have a UK, you can stay in the country indefinitely and work, which means that the option to practice in the UK is a definite possibility. If you do not hold a UK or EU passport, you will have to apply for an appropriate visa.

Does Canada Law from Abroad guarantee entry on an LLB programme?

No we cannot. All final decisions are made by the admissions team at each university and decisions are based on your own academic qualifications,, personal statement and reference, and in some cases, an interview. However, we believe that by using our service you will increase your chances of acceptance, because we make sure that you are applying to universities that match your academic ability and personal preferences. Through our expertise and knowledge of the admissions process and criteria of each of our partner law schools, we help you ensure that your application presents you in the best possible light to maximize your chances of acceptance.

Do all the universities have the same requirements?

No. All of our partner universities vary and so it is best to check with a Canada Law from Abroad Advisor for the exact requirements needed. Admissions requirements may vary within the universities and thus law degree requirements can be higher than the general minimum requirements of a university.

Can I work during my studies?

You can work for up to 20 hours a week ring term while you study in the UK if you are on a Student Route Visa. A typical wage is between $10 and $12 an hour. For more information, visit the Home Office website. Our preferred law school partners each have a careers service to help students find an appropriate job either on campus or in the local community. They will provide a wide range of help including: - Access to job adverts - Guidance with writing CVs and job applications - Support on preparing for job interviews - Information about working in the UK.

Need Help?
Send us a message